My mom made brownies like this when I was growing up- they were a special treat. My friend Ben still asks about these to this day.
1 (14 ounce) package individually wrapped caramels
2/3 cup evaporated milk
1 (18.25 ounce) package German chocolate cake mix
3/4 cup butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease one 9x13 inch baking dish.
2. Melt caramels and 1/3 cup of the evaporated milk over very low heat, stirring occasionally until smooth.
3. Combine cake mix, melted butter, the remaining 1/3 cup evaporated milk, vanilla. Mix well and spread 1/2 of the batter into the prepared pan.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 8 minutes.
5. Sprinkle the chocolate chips evenly over the partially cooked brownies. Pour the melted caramel mixture over the top and with a teaspoon drop the remaining 1/2 of the batter evenly over the top.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Let brownies cool in pan then cut into bars