Music and Friendship

I love music, I always have and always will.....when I hear a song it takes me back to a place and time and I am flooded with memories.
Music keeps me somehow connected to my best friend Natalie, my best friend who passed away over ten years ago (even though it still feels like yesterday). I can hear a song and it takes me back to a time that I spent with her.
Natalie introduced me to country music, I remember driving around Atlanta (I was visiting her at Emory) windows rolled down music turned up.....it was one of those awesome afternoons that at the time was just another fun day but something I always think about when I hear Deana Carter.
Before we went off to college we sat in her room making mix tapes for each other, two songs I remember clearly are: Midnight Train to Georgia by Gladys Knight and the Pips and Fast Car by Tracy Chapman, I hear those songs and I am back in Natalie's room laying on the floor talking with my best friend.
Senior year of high school Natalie talked me into being a baseball manager with her and the song of that spring for us was Centerfield by John Fogerty, every time I hear that song I am back in the Subaru with a blue Mister Misty from Dairy Queen heading to practice.
When she passed away words could not come to me but a song did.
The Dance by Garth Brooks...

Looking back on the memory of
The dance we shared 'neath the stars above
For a moment all the world was right
How could I have known that you'd ever say goodbye

And now I'm glad I didn't know
The way it all would end, the way it all would go
Our lives are better left to chance
I could have missed the pain
But I'd have had to miss the dance

Holding you, I held everything
For a moment wasn't I a king
But if I'd only known how the king would fall
Hey who's to say? you know I might have changed it all

And now I'm glad I didn't know
The way it all would end the way it all would go
Our lives are better left to chance
I could have missed the pain
But I'd have had to miss the dance

Yes my life, it's better left to chance
I could have missed the pain
But I'd have had to miss the dance


When a song comes on the radio that reminds me of Natalie I always think she is sending me a little hello. It makes me smile and makes miss my sweet, dear friend.
And just so you know, her senior quote was from an Eagles song, Take It Easy:
We may lose and we may win though
We will never be here again


So thank you Natalie for the music and something almost as good...introducing me to Kripy Kreme Doughnuts :) I love you and think of you often and when I get sad I roll down the windows and turn the music up and I feel like you are there with me

Comments