Information Overload (for me and you!)

*Normally my posts are light and easy but today this is more of a long ramble of what is going on with my daughter, so excuse me while I ramble on*

A few weeks ago I took Ellie in for her yearly check-up, things were going fine until at the end of the appointment when the doctor asked me to come into her office-which she has never done so my heart was racing. She sat me down and asked me if I noticed that Ellie was starting to develop breast buds, yes I had....and then she said that it is not "normal" for that to be happening. So she explained to me that Precocius Pubetry is puberty that begins before age 8 for girls and before age 9 for boys.
Obviously we don't want puberty to start this early.....it could cause Ellie to start having her period at age 9, which means she would stop growing 2 years later at age 11. Not to mention that a 9 year can't emotionally handle getting period.
So we were sent off to get an MRI to make sure that it wasn't a tumor (highly unlikely) that was causing the precocious puberty. Luckily there is no tumor and they can easily treat her and prevent her from going through puberty this early- most likely with monthly injections. We will know more about this when we meet with the Endocrinologist tomorrow.

Oh, but wait there is more- Ellie's doctor called tonight and found some unrelated problems, she has Chiari Malformation.
Here is the definition:
Chiari malformation is a congenital (i.e. present at birth) structural problem at the base of the skull that affects the brain and spinal cord. In fact it is not a malformation of the brain at all. More accurately, the lower portion of the skull, the portion known as the posterior fossa, is too small to accommodate the lower portion of the brain. As a result, a portion of the cerebellum called the tonsils is forced to protrude into the spinal column. This results in compression of the brain stem and spinal cord and interferes with the flow of spinal fluid. It is the compression of the brain stem and spinal cord that is primarily responsible for the symptoms. We have learned that compression that is sufficient to cause symptoms can occur even when the cerebellar tonsils protrude by as little as 1 millimeter.

Right now it doesn't mean much- other than the REALLY crappy fact that she has to get another MRI (and the fact that I hate knowing something is wrong with Ellie)......we have to keep it monitored- it can cause issues like severe headaches and a few other problems which can be treated with surgery, which is hopefully far away if it does become a problem, which hopefully it won't.

So yup I am a little freaked out and I really don't want to tell Ellie she has to get another MRI because even though she was a total rock star I know for a fact it is not something she wants to do again anytime soon or ever.

My brain my explode with all this information.....and yup I think I need a drink now. Thanks for listening to me as I vent and try to wrap my head around this!
My husband doesn't understand why I post this kind of information on my blog but I feel like it helps me to write about it.

Comments

  1. That is a lot!!!! Hang in there mama. I can come over and have drinks with you!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment